About


Oppidum Blattae or Blatta, the old town of Blato, dates since the ancient Iliric tribes. That was confirmed by the newest archeological research on the peak of Kopila, just near the northern border of Blato field. That field, once a periodical lake, was the reason how the town got its name; it was given it by the Croat tribes that settled on these planes in the 9th century. On ancient slavenic, the word “blato” means lake.

Like any other ancient villages on islands, Blato is located in the heartland of island of Korčula, in lowland between 3 hills. There are 2 main reasons for that: during these times, there was a constant danger from the sea pirates and because of the wellspring, which was located in the field. The same wellspring is the main water supply for the town ever since.

During the Austria-Hungary monarchy, periodical lake was meliorated in 1912., which was the 1st case of agricultural action of that magnitude in the whole Dalmatia. A 2241m long tunel was dug from lake to nearest cove Bristva. Because of this gain, Blato start to prosper and grow. Its peak, was during the end of the 19th century and the beginning of the 20th, when Blato had around 10 000 townsfolk, and was 5th largest economy in the Dalmatia province. The backbone of the whole economy was vine production. Since the land was scarce, a system of drywalls was built, which spread thousands of miles, preventing soil loss caused by wind and rain erosion. You will see it troughout the island, where it stands as reminder of a time that once was.

Then came the phylloxera (illnes of the vine root) and the vine clause between Austria-Hungary and Italy resulting in big egzodus of Blato townsfolk to overseas countries. On 25th of May, 1925., in a single day, from bay of Prigradica, which was the main port for vine export, more than 1000 people took off in the world, mainly North and South America, in search for existence.

Ssecond big wave of emigration took place after World War II., between 1945.-1975. This time Australia was the destination. The result of that is aprox. 6000 emigration descendants over 3 generations, that now reside all across Australian continent.


Places to visit in town of Blato and Blato county:

The Linden alley-located in the main street, spreads throughout the whole town, aprox. 1km long conected with the central park in the middle.

Shrine of Blessed sister Mary of Crucified Jesus Petkovic-the founder of catholic sister order: Daughters of merci of St. Francis.

Etno museum: Barilo 

Main church: The All Saints church, from year 1350., with the bell tower from 18th century, and a chapel with sarcophagus and the remains of our town protector St. Vicenca. She was and early christian martyr, which was brought to Blato in year 1795.

20 small churches and chapels across the Blato county, specialy the St. Cosmas and Damian church and Lady of the Field church. St. Cosmas and Damian church was the first ever built in these lands, dated from 13th century. It was built on the remains of an early christian basilica from 6th century. Lady of the Field church was the first main town church, built on the shores of the former periodical lake in the year 1338.

Iliric necropola in the Kopila area, with grave remains and fragments of burial pottery , dated 2nd and 1st century B.C.

Thousands of miles of drywall system across the county.

Melioration tunel, 2241m long, built in year 1912.

Knight order ”Kumpanjija” Blato  The order was founded 1927. with task of preserving the cultural heritage of sword dance called: ”ples od boja” (war dance) and other extreamly rich historic legacy of Blato. ”Kumpanjija” was a military company, one of the oldest in all Croatia. The oldest written proof about ”Kumpanjija” was the Statute of the Korcula city, year 1214., which recognises ”Kumpanjija” as a defenders of the island. There is even, an older document that mentions the army that defends the island, written by Ristle-a notar of the duke Mislav, from the 9th century. During the course of history ”Kumpanjija” defended the island and towns from pirates, and the city of Korcula from invaders, the proof of which can be found in the cronicles.

Prižba (Prišćapac) is a southern part of Blato county, aprox 12km from town of Blato. It has beautiful beaches and rocky shores with 5 islands archipelago that make a breathtaking view. The sea has superb quality. Climate is typical mediterranean, with hot summers and warm winters so you can enjoy the holidays almost the whole year.



Copyright © Apartmani Mlaji by RodeDizajn